Friday, February 23, 2007

The Line is in (and has been drawn)

Wednesday was a more stressful day than any, I think.
We waited all day for them to take Mom down to surgery and all the while, in the background, the evil hospital administrator, who has been wanting Mom out for well over a week, lingered in the background, waiting to pounce like a lion.
She didn't come around, she hadn't been since our doctor requested she not be with him since her mere presence enrages me. But we got the message through both of Mom's doctors that they would try to move her to the accute care wing of another hospital as soon as her feeding pick was put into place.
As the hours ticked away and a 2 p.m. surgery moved to 5:30, I became more worried about their moving her when she was still under the effects of drugs.
The stress I felt came to a head about 7 p.m., immediately following Mom's surgery. Mom's nurse came into her room and announced,
"We have transport ready whenever you're ready to move with her."
I lost it. We had just been told by one of her doctors she was too unstable to move, yet here the vultures were ready to dump her on the nearest hospital that would take her.
I yelled and cursed and threatened a lawsuit.
After walking off my anger in the hallway, I came back and apologized to her nurse.
"I understand," she said. "I would feel the same if it were my mother."
I think that what families in this situation can do the most for their loved ones is just be there. It is hard, I've had to put a lot of my life on the backburner (including my work) for the moment, but my presence in the hospital allows the staff to realize this is someone's mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, etc. She isn't just a number or a name in their files. And the more family that can be there, the better (I've had more here since Sunday).
This nurse, at least, recognized the human lying in the bed, if the administrator did not.
She came back later and relayed, "We got the transport cancelled, it won't be an issue tonight."
I smiled and told her it wasn't going to be an issue anyway. She smiled back.
Determining Mom wasn't yet stable enough to travel, even by ambulance yesterday, they left her alone another day.
Her feeding has started, she wakes up every once in awhile and smiles at someone or surprises us with a joke.
I told her the other night I didn't know what to do with her head because I couldn't get her comfortable. She smiled and made a motion across her throat with her finger,
"Cut it off," she whispered.
We all got a laugh out of that because her wit and humor came at such a stressful and seemingly serious moment.
She's defied the doctor who once again came in and told us she isn't strong enough to continue much longer. Our family doctor who knows her best, says he doesn't know what keeps her going.
He should know its her wit and will. But now that the

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenaia said...

Keri,

I was sorry to hear about your mom. I'm sending a warm hug your way.

Love,
Jena

4:15 PM, February 23, 2007  
Blogger Ole John Henry said...

Do you think that the medical services received at Providence was competent?

9:59 AM, July 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home