Friday, January 26, 2007

Betty's Bad Bug

A little humor to end the week. Mom's doctor refuses to let her go home until they are able to name the strain of pneumonia that she has.
"Why don't we just name it. You can become famous with your own bug in the medical journal. We'll call it Betty's Bad Bug. Now, can I go home."
The doctor just smiles and shakes his head. "You're like a doll with a pull string. I come in here everyday and pull your string and you ask the same thing."
My mom likes her doctor, who does have a caring demeanor and dry wit.
She was in good spirits last night but I know my visit wore her out. I called when I got home (she worries about me driving around and being out after dark. Like many elderly, I think she believes the sheer blackness of the night might swallow me whole) and I could tell she was already groggy.
Until I arrived, she wasn't having a good day. It would be inappropriate for me to post why, but let's say I'm going to have a little chat with her doctor or the head of nursing about why it is important for the nurses to assist the elderly in maintaining their dignity.
Their family caretakers are aware of it every moment of everyday and they should be as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home