Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Another Vein Popping Day

Our days didn't get on a good start, Mom's and mine.
I got up to the hospital early so I could see the doctor and talk to him about the swallow test and other things.
Along tags the woman who was with him on Friday.
While I was asking the doctor questions, she kept butting in with her own diagnosis. When I asked the doctor since the hospital didn't have any thickened water on hand if Mom could get regular water because she is continuously so thirsty, the woman replied to me,
"Well, it was evidentally determined that she couldn't have regular water due to a problem with swallowing. You don't want her to aspirate, do you?"
At this point, I'm really surprised my husband and my aunt didn't have to come see me in jail after I choked this woman so she would aspirate.
I'm tired of asking questions and getting no answers. At the same time, I'm tired of being told what my mother has to do to get well (such as going to the nursing home) by people who don't know her, or getting advice from people who aren't here living this day to day with us,
when the people who know her best (such as her doctor and me) seem powerless to do what we know is necessary.
I started shaking. I turned and looked at the woman and said,
Excuse me, but who are you, exactly?"
Doctor's eyes got wide just from my rise in voice and tone. He knows me, he's also been my doctor for over 17 years. He looked at me while still writing in his charts.
She did indeed identify herself as the evil hospital administrator who had Mom released the last time.
"Oh, and I am an RN."
I nodded my head.
"Well," I said, trying to keep my composure (my mother always taught me to try to take the high road), "This guy over here is an MD, and since I asked her doctor the question, I would like her doctor to answer it."
She didn't say another word.
Later, at the doctor's office, I smiled greeting the doc.
"I bet your day would be made if I lost my voice too. I'm sorry, but I don't like that woman."
He said he didn't like her either and we entered into another long discussion about the crappy system and how they follow him around pressuring him to release patients who are no longer covered by insurance or Medicare.
I later called a friend of mine, a former health care executive with another system. She explained to me about the reduced payments from Medicare, that doctors are feeling the heat from hosptials.
She in effect told me our doctor must be a pretty bad boy to have administrators follow him around on rounds.
Well, I've kinda always went for the bad boys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home